Had a wonderful day down at our Clissold site today. It was the first time this year that we’ve had a proper volunteer session there. Up until now, it’s kind of been out of bounds to volunteers as it was a bit of a building site really. But now that the new gate has been installed and the fencing around the boundary is almost in place, the time has come for work to begin in earnest to get the site up and running again.
It’s not that we’ve not been busy at the site up until now. As I blogged way back in February, the move to the other side of the butterfly tunnel resulted in our taking ownership of the tunnel to turn it over to a more agricultural endeavor. In these last couple of months we have managed to cover it in plastic in preparation for some serious undercover growing. This was achieved with a brilliant little work team to get the hoops covered. A task made more complicated by the un-sympathetic weather that day. You need to have a really clear warm day to get a polytunnel covered. The plastic does better when the weather’s warm so you can stretch it really tight and you need the hoops to be dry so you can stick the anti-hotspot tape to them. This is essential if you want your plastic to last when it gets hot – those metal poles absorb all the sun’s rays and the plastic touching them can melt on a hot summer’s day. So it was touch and go that drizzly day in March. But did it we did, and we’ve now got a great tunnel in which to grow more salad and hopefully extend the season in which we can grow it!
Now the digging of the beds has begun and the site is starting to look good again. Thursdays are now another opportunity to volunteer and the turn out today was truly heartening. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll get some crops in the ground by June.